This is a list of directories where you can locate California statistics and data or resources that include data about California. GO HERE to find federal agency data sources that include state-by-state information.
- California Free Public Records--a comprehensive list of statewide public record resources for California with additional resources that can be searched on county, city, and category pages.
- Data Planet California State Statistics -- search for data on California using broad subject categories. Note that the searches retrieve top-level views of datasets; there are many more indicators and variables included in each dataset, and more granular geographies. Add additional keywords to retrieve more precise results.
- Rand Corporation -- provides a variety of information about the state of California, including statistical tables on business and economics, population and demographics, education, health, government finance, and politics and public opinion as well as the information and links to publications from leading California public policy and research institutions and California Policy Bulletins that summarize state government news.
- SCAG GIS and Data Service Program -- a source for customized demographic and economic studies, data and analysis, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) analysis, and mapping for the Southern California region. Also includes links to economic and demographic data sets.
BUDGET AND GOVERNMENT FINANCE
- California Budget -- complete text of the proposed budget based on the Governor's goals and objectives for the forthcoming year, highlighting significant issues, policies, and initiatives of the Administration, the revised budget that reflects an update of revenues, expenditures, and reserve estimates based upon the latest economic forecast and changes in population, and the enacted budgets passed by the Legislature and signed by the Governor for the recently enacted fiscal year.
- Local Government Financial Data -- website created by the State Controller's Office to make it easier for taxpayers to track revenues, expenditures, and other financial data reported by California's 57 counties, 482 cities and more than 4,800 special districts. This also includes approximately 76 transportation planning agencies, 272 transit operators, and 126 state and local government pension plans.
- Criminal Justice Statistics Center -- this site contains crime data submitted by county and local law enforcement agencies, as well as current and historical publications on crime, juvenile justice, homicide, and hate crimes in California. The datasets provide web-based presentations of California criminal justice statistical data, offering more flexibility for tailoring statistics to a specific inquiry.
ECONOMIC AND LABOR
- Business Employment Dynamics -- tracks the expansion and contraction of employment for private businesses. These employment changes - gross job gains (expansions and openings) and gross job losses (reductions and closures) - are components of the net change in employment at the establishment level.
- California Consumer Price Index -- a measure of the average change over time in the prices paid by urban consumers for a market basket of consumer goods and services.
- California Economic Indicators -- provides comprehensive information on the State and local labor markets. On this page you will find the most up-to-date labor force and unemployment data released by the California Employment Development Department.
- Income Data Search Tool -- an aggregate of Income data from all sources by household, family, and individuals. It is an important economic indicator and is intended to be used with other economic and labor market data to gauge the health of the California economy.
- Labor Market Data Library -- contains a comprehensive listing of California labor market information data produced by the Employment Development Department.
- Per Capita Personal Income by County from U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis -- a resource to quickly locate Per Capita Personal Income data by County from U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Quarterly Workforce Indicators -- the Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics (LEHD) program at the U.S. Census Bureau, together with the California Employment Development Department, provides summaries of Quarterly Workforce Indicators at the county, metro, and local Workforce Investment Area levels cross-referenced with such factors as gender, age, race, education, firm size, and industry.
- Taxable Sales for California by County -- provides taxable sales data for California and counties from 1997 – 2013 from the California Board of Equalization.
- Data and Statistics -- a compilation of sources of statistics produced by or made accessible by the California Department of Education, including school performance, test results, student enrollment, English learner, graduation and dropout, school staffing, course enrollment, and student misconduct data, downloadable files containing general information about California's public schools and districts, a longitudinal data system used to maintain individual-level data including student demographics, course data, discipline, assessments, staff assignments, and other data for state and federal reporting, and comprehensive data about K–12 education in California.
- Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development -- produces statistical reports, datasets, and visualizations and other data-based products from a variety of sources, including reports submitted to the Office by nearly 6,000 licensed healthcare facilities as well as facility construction and healthcare workforce data managed in the administration of OSHPD programs.
- Open Data Portal -- an initiative of the California Health and Human Services Agency that provides public access to non-confidential health and human services data. "Open Data" describes data that are freely available, machine-readable, and formatted according to national technical standards to facilitate visibility and reuse of published data. The portal offers access to standardized data that can be easily retrieved, combined, downloaded, sorted, searched, analyzed, redistributed and re-used.
- Vital Records Data and Statistics -- produced by the Center for Health Statistics and Informatics, the site cover a wide variety of health topics suitable for community health assessments, research for government and private studies, and public inquiry. Further, the programs within the Vital Records Data and Statistics include the Medical Marijuana Identification Card Program and the End of Life Option Act.
POPULATION AND DEMOGRAPHICS
- 2020 Census Information Collection -- link contains the California Department of Finance response to the Federal Register (Vol. 83, No. 111) request for comments on the 2020 Census Proposed Information Collection.
- Estimates -- official population estimates of the state, counties and cities produced by the Demographic Research Unit for state planning and budgeting.
- Projections -- forecasts of population, births and public school enrollment at the state and county level produced by the Demographic Research Unit.
- State Census Data Center -- demographic, social, economic, migration, and housing data from the decennial censuses, the American Community Survey, the Current Population Survey, and other special and periodic surveys.
- Data In Action - a new resource with interactive visualizations, charts, and maps that illustrate the data that the DRU tabulates and produces.
Descriptions of resources are adapted or quoted from vendor or government websites.