Skip to main content

Women in Architecture @ USC: Home

This guide attempts to capture information about female graduates of USC's architecture between 1927 and 1975. It also lists names of early female faculty.

General History

This listing of female graduates of the USC’s architectural program began in 2013, in preparation for a panel which took place during the School of Architecture’s celebration of 100 years of architecture at USC, 2014-2015. The panel took place on March 25, 2015. Moderated by Ruth Wallach, Head of the Architecture and Fine Arts Library, and Trudi Sandmeier, Director of the Heritage Conservation Program at the USC School of Architecture, the panel consisted of Ena Dubnoff (B. Arch 1960), Therese M. Gain (B.S Arch, 1974), Jenna Knudsen (B. Arch 1997), Christine M. Lampert, (B.S. Arch 1975), and Kelly S. McLeod (B. Arch 1983).

This list is an attempt to capture information on female graduates of architecture between 1927 and 1975 only. If you have additional information on any of these graduates, please contact Ruth Wallach, USC Libraries,

General history of the School of Architecture at USC:

  • Courses in architecture were offered at USC beginning with 1914.
  • A Department of Architecture was established within the School of Fine Arts in 1914.
  • The department of Architecture was moved into the College of Liberal Arts in 1919.
  • A School of Architecture was organized in September 1925.
  • The school was renamed into College of Architecture in 1931; graduate curriculum (for master’s degree) was approved in 1932.
  • The  College of Architecture and Fine Arts operated from 1933 to 1963.
  • The School of Architecture and Fine Arts operated from 1963 to 1979.
  • The School of Architecture was formed in 1979 – current.
  • Courses in engineering related to architecture were offered beginning with the 1910s.


Ruth Wallach's picture
Ruth Wallach
(213) 740-6917
Doheny Memorial Library
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0189