Transportation Books in Our Collection
Transportation is very much an interdisciplinary field of study. Research breakthroughs come in all sorts of areas, from energy-efficient fuels, to walkability-focused neighborhoods, to large-scale computer modeling of air, land and see transportation routes.
Los Angeles County is one of the world's largest air, ground and sea transportation hubs. We have:
- Large and busy commercial airports as well as numerous general aviation airports and even a space exploration company
- A very large network of streets, freeways and train rails, on which individual vehicles, carpool vans, trucks, metro and light rail trains, etc. travel
- One of the largest ports in the world, when considering the combination of the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) and the Port of Long Beach.
A great deal of transportation research and study goes on at USC. Here are just a few examples.
- The USC Viterbi School of Engineering is home to METRANS, a U.S. Department of Transportation Center that includes an active partnership with Cal State Long Beach as well as the Center for Advanced Transportation Technologies.
- The USC School of Policy, Planning and Development has faculty very active in transportation research, particularly from the analysis and planning sides.
- The USC College of Letters, Arts and Sciences includes the USC Center for Sustainability Cities, which considers transportation issues.
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is responsible for aviation and railroad safety in particular, but also has some authority for marine, highway and pipeline safety. Their accident reports (e.g. aviation) from their extensive database are instructive in many ways and can be used for research.
this Urban and Regional Planning LibGuide which includes transportation information resources
The Dorothy Peyton Gray Transportation Library at the LA Metro Center - a great resource for images and more
Last Update: August 2011
A Few Transportation Databases and Journals
TRB is a searchable index of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academies of Science and Engineering. The TRB Publications Index contains over 21,000 annotated citations for all TRB and Strategic Highway Research Program (SHRP) publications from the mid 1970s until present.
TRIS Online is a public-domain, web-based version of the Transportation Research Information Services (TRIS) bibliographic database. The TRIS Online database contains over half a million records of published transportation research including technical reports, books, conference proceedings and journal articles.
The ProQuest suite of article citation databases indexes a number of transportation journals, most with links to the fulltext of the articles. Here are just some of the titles:
- Defense Transportation Journal
- Global Trade & Transportation
- Institute of Transportation Engineers. ITE Journal
- Journal of Air Transportation
- Journal of Transportation Law, Logistics, and Policy
- Transportation Business Journal
The ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) Digital Library of journals and conference proceedings contains hundreds of articles on transportation studies topics.