Welcome Students & Faculty!
This is the RefWorks Guide. Browse through the tabs to find tutorials and other help in using RefWorks at USC.
RefWorks is a Web-based citation manager that allows you to import references from text files, web sites or online databases. You can use RefWorks to format a paper and a bibliography in seconds. (First time users should sign up for an individual account and select a username and password--see below.)
From computers connecting via wireless or off-campus, the USC Group Code is required. The group code is RWUSC
A listing of the RefWorks tutorials (available from the RefWorks Help menu) is provided on the Tutorials Tab above.
Create an account
Steps to create an account
- Start by clicking this link and then enter the USC Group Code if prompted (If you are on-campus, you may not be asked): RWUSC
- Click on the Find an Institution button and "Create an account at University of Southern California" should then appear in the middle of the dialog box.
- Fill out the rest of the dialog box with your information and click on the Next button.
- Finish filling out the dialog box. Click on Create Account and you're done!
Using RefWorks Overview
Using RefWorks consists of four easy steps:
- Create an account by entering your subscriber information, including the USC Group Code: RWUSC
- Create a database by automatically importing data from online services or by typing references in manually.
- Create a paper in your word processor insert the code for your citation (called a Temporary Citation Placeholder) in those locations you want to cite references. Save and close the file.
- From RefWorks click on Bibliography and select the paper you just saved and the output style in which you want it created.
Click on Create Bibliography and save the formatted document to disk.