Diretories and Scholarly Web Sites
- Africa South of the Sahara--a searchable, comprehensive directory of web resources about countries south of the Sahara. Contents are arranged by country and topic as well.
- BBC News Country Profiles -- supplies information on the history, economy, and politics of countries and territories as well as maps, facts, and current leaders. Each profile includes links to news items on that country that have appeared on the BBC network.
- CIA World Factbook -- provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 266 world entities.
- Country Studies/Area Handbook Series -- presents a description and analysis of the historical setting and the social, economic, political, and national security systems and institutions of countries throughout the world. The series examines the inter-relationships of those systems and the ways they are shaped by cultural factors.
- EurasiaNet -- provides information and analysis about political, economic, environmental and social developments in the countries of Central Asia and the Caucasus, as well as in Russia, the Middle East, and Southwest Asia. The web site also offers additional features, including newsmaker interviews and book reviews.
- Foreign Information by Country -- compiled by the University of Colorado Libraries, this site provides links to government agencies, background information, diplomatic relations, and other resources by topic for all of the countries of the world.
- Global Edge Country Profiles -- source for statistical data for nearly every country around the world. In addition to statistics, the database includes summary information on historical, economic, and political conditions and risk assessment.
- Human Development Reports -- site contains country-level data available for review and download from the United Nation's annual Human Development Report.
- Library of Congress Country Studies Area Handbooks -- provides extensive information on over 91 countries, describing and analyzing political, economic, social, and national security systems and institutions, and examining the interrelationships of those systems and the ways they are shaped by cultural factors. and includes photographs, maps, and charts.
- Portals to the World -- contains links providing authoritative, in-depth information about the nations and other areas of the world. They are arranged by country or area with the links for each sorted into a wide range of broad categories. Sites are selected by subject specialists at the Library of Congress.
- World Economic Forum Global Risk Reports -- a comprehensive series of reports which examine in detail the broad range of global issues related to economic imbalances and social inequality risk.
- Worldwide Governments on the WWW -- one of the most extensive lists of international, national, regional, and local governmental and government-related Web servers. It covers governmental institutions on the Web, including parliaments, ministries, offices, law courts, embassies, city councils, public broadcasting corporations, central banks, multinational organizations, and political parties. Arranged in a hierarchical index organized by continent, country, and smaller divisions with thematic groupings such as heads of states, parliaments, political parties, elections, and currency.
Descriptions of resources are adapted or quoted from vendor websites.